Well, I’m only slightly late to the party with this… but in all honesty, I’m not really someone who keeps up with all the most up-to-the-minute pattern releases. Sometimes I’ll see something new and immediately want to make it (like the Mae blouse from BlueGingerDoll, which I will be making Very Shortly!), but more often I’ll have an idea in my head, and then look for a pattern which matches it.
So the lovely Ceylon was the solution to my desire for a 40s-styled tea-dress, and I have to say, it really fits the bill!
It’s a lovely pattern to sew, as long as you like edge-stitching. I’d never really had much call to do much of this in the past, but I can assure you that I am now the boss at edge-stitching…
…because all the horizontal seams between the panels (there are many panels…) are done by folding one seam allowance under and then edge-stitching it on top of the other seam allowance. This controls the lie of the seam-allowances very well, giving a nice flat finish to the join. Fortunately, since I made two toiles (yes, I was quite bored by the end), I’d had plenty practice by the time it came to putting the dress together!
The fit on this pattern is great – virtually no adjustment needed in the end. So why the 2 toiles, I hear you ask? Why indeed… Well, I made up the 12, as I wanted a reasonably easy fit, and I do have a 32″ waist. However, it was enormous, except around the hips. It was obvious I’d need to start from the 10, so off I went again… This time it was perfect, apart from the hips, which were tight. So after ALL THAT, I made a 10 in the body and graded to a 12 through the waist. In retrospect, I would have raised the waist slightly, but that’s nothing a belt doesn’t fix!
I read somewhere that Colette patterns are cut to a C-cup, but able to cope with a D. Yeah. I wasn’t adjusting this, so I just have to wear my most up-selling bra. It works. Lot easier than an SBA, and in any case this dress really needs the whole hourglass thing going on, or there’s really no point!
I found I had enough (16) of these vintage green buttons, which did match the fabric perfectly when I sewed them on… although they are gradually getting lighter every time they go through the wash. Seriously, they were nearly as dark as the belt buckle originally. Hmmm.
The fabric is a floral cotton from Sew-In of Didsbury. We don’t stock that much fabric (although much of what we do have is gingham, so I’m alright, Jack), but every so often we get something different in, like this. And then I buy it, so we don’t have it any more…
All in all, the verdict on this dress is that I need a lot more of them! I’m thinking of a maroon knit one for the winter already, but as there are 10 pattern pieces and 20 fabric pieces (count em’!), it’s quite a labour-intensive project, though easy. I will have a bit of a breather first, but there will be more Ceylons in the future. Yay!